Role & Responsibilities
Are you interested in running for the board? Are you curious to know which director might be best suited to help you with a particular issue, idea or concern. Below is a list outlining the roles and responsibilities of each director.
A director is expected to be fully informed on community league matters and participate in discussions and decisions in matters of policy, finance, programs, personnel and advocacy.
- Commit to the work of the organization.
- Review the board’s conduct and monitor its performance to ensure compliance with bylaws and policies.
- Speak positively of the league and assist in developing and maintaining positive relations among the board, committees and communities to enhance the league’s mission.
- Orient new board members.
- Prepare for and arrive on time for all required meetings.
- Develop, monitor, review and approve all policies and other recommendations received from the board, its standing committees and staff.
- Review the bylaws and recommend changes to the membership.
- Participate in the development of the league’s organizational plan, annual review and budget.
- Approve the budget and other financial matters.
- Prepare and present required reports at board meetings.
- Prepare and present an annual report at the annual general meeting.
The term of office for all positions on Kensington CL Board is one year.
PRESIDENT | back to top
- Provides leadership to the board by:
- encouraging board members to participate in meetings and activities
- focusing the board’s activities on the organization’s mission
- Ensures the board members are oriented, trained and recognized for their contributions.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the board’s decision-making process.
- Acts as a liaison between the community league and other community leagues or civic organizations.
- Promotes the organization’s purpose in the community and to the media and acts as spokesperson for the league.
- Is the primary liaison between the league and EFCL.
- Participates in the selection and release of any paid employees in consultation with other executive officers.
- Plays a leading role in supporting fundraising activities.
- Is responsible for committees by:
- serving as an ex-officio member of all committees and attending their meetings when needed;
- ensuring that committee chairpersons are appointed
- Arranges for the orientation of committee chairpersons.
- Is responsible for the board’s agenda.
- Chairs meetings of the community league according to Robert’s Rules of Order or as designated in the bylaws and ensure meetings adhere to the agenda.
- Per Robert’s Rules, votes on Board motions/major decisions only in the event of a tie;
- Acts as one of the signing officers for cheques and other documents such as contracts and grant applications.
- Prepares a President’s Report for the annual general meeting.
VICE PRESIDENT | back to top
- Acts in the absence of the president/chairperson.
- Assists president whenever possible.
- Is familiar with all committee members and their duties.
- Works with President and (future) Past President in the identification, participation and nomination of new Board members
- Other special duties by interest or assignment.
TREASURER | back to top
- Gives regular reports to the board on the financial state of the community league.
- Acts as signing officer, with President/Chair, for cheques and other documents.
- Issues cheques for all invoices.
- Make deposits.
- Enters all transactions in the journal and balances monthly.
- Arranges for annual audit of books.
- Prepares financial statements.
- Completes security clearance check.
SECRETARY | back to top
- Keeps copies of the bylaws, minutes and other documents.
- Keeps lists of Directors, committees and general membership.
- Informs EFCL of Board member updates after elections.
- Records all minutes during board and general meetings.
- Files correspondence.
- Ensures there is a quorum.
- Records all motions and decisions of meetings.
- Distributes copies of minutes to directors and posts minutes online (if applicable) promptly after meetings
- Notifies members of general meetings.
- Files the annual return, amendments to the bylaws and other incorporating documents with the Corporate Registry.
- In the absence of the chairperson and vice- chairperson, chairs board meetings until the election of an alternate chairperson.
- Archives league records.
BUILDINGS & GROUNDS | back to top
- Responsible for all community facilities and structures
- Supervises building maintenance and repair.
- Reviews condition of facilities and structures
- Maintains up-to-date building maintenance records.
- Advises league on maintenance and upgrades.
- Obtains estimates for maintenance, repair and upgrade work.
- Recommends upgrades to all facilities as required.
COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR | back to top
- Manages all aspects of the production and distribution of the Kensington CL newsletter.
- Manages the website and social media.
- Manages all aspects of other communication tools such as bulletins or news releases (if applicable).
- Manages appropriate advertising for the league.
- Works with program director and others as required to promote events and initiatives.
FUNDRAISING DIRECTOR | back to top
- Applies for grants and permits to run gaming events such as bingo and casinos
- Works with Social Director in the development of ‘special’ fundraising events (Silent auctions, etc.) and helps secure appropriate donations
- Liaises with Structures and Facilities Director in fund development for specific project (i.e. Playground)
- Prepares written reports on gaming events twice annually and submits the reports to Attorney General’s Department.
- Maintains financial records.
MEMBERSHIP DIRECTOR | back to top
- Manages annual recruitment drive.
- Prepares the membership list and updates records.
- Orders membership supplies from the EFCL.
- Check online membership sales at efcl.org and distributes cards and skate tags
- Attend sports / program registrations to sell memberships as required
- Recruits and supervises volunteer canvassers.
- Reviews and prepares policy and procedures with respect to membership.
- Recommends fee structure and strategies to increase membership.
NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH DIRECTOR | back to top
- Liaises with Edmonton Police Service to ensure a safe community. This includes:
- Reporting of major concerns;
- Implementation of action plans
- Maintains Kensington Neighbourhood Watch Facebook Group
- Works with Communication Director to ensure any important issues are communicated to all residents
PROGRAMS DIRECTOR | back to top
- Works with the City Community Recreation Coordinators (CRCs).
- Determines which programs will be offered to the community, then arranges for instructors and accommodation.
- Applies for grants for specific programs.
- Arranges registrations.
- Prepares budget and financial reports for the treasurer.
- Arranges payments to instructors, keeps appropriate records.
- Arranges access to the facilities used.
SOCIAL DIRECTOR | back to top
- Coordinates large social events for the Kensington CL
- Develops and chairs committee for implementation
- Develops and maintains budget
- Works with Treasurer and Fundraising Director to ensure funds accepted (should they be) are properly tracked and assigned.
SPORTS DIRECTOR | back to top
- Reviews and prepares policy and procedures related to sports programs.
- Recruits coaches.
- Delegates coaching responsibilities.
- Organizes registration times.
- Recommends and collects sports programs fees.
- Coordinates maintenance of Kensington CL-owned equipment (soccer balls, jerseys, nets, etc.)
- Attends zone and other city-wide related meetings.
VOLUNTEER DIRECTOR | back to top
- Ensures a robust listing of volunteers is maintained for Kensington CL events;
- Works with Sports Director to ensure volunteer deposit process is active, tracked and maintained;
- Recruits and assign volunteers to Kensington CL social events, delivery of newsletters, fundraising ‘drives’ (Bottle drive, etc.) and Bingos and Casinos